Photography is the documentation of life, once that shutter has clicked, the moment has passed and history is made. Some may be familiar with project 365, a simple concept, take a photograph everyday for 365 days. This blog is an extension of the project; the goal is to keep photographing every day, who knows how long? It is an excellent archive to look back on, see how things change. Change can be subtle, such as different coloured flowers being planted each year to a changing landscape with buildings being demolished and new ones built. This blog archives life’s diversity and my encounters.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Vancouver - Lighthouse and Stanley Park

2010 04 05
It was my last day in Vancouver and I don’t think it could of gone any better. The weather held consistent with my previous days and I was chilling with a friend from college.
It has been a year since I had last seen Emma, although we keep in touch on msn, it doesn’t compare to actually hanging out with the person.
I had explored some interesting places up to this point but Emma knew a few more spectacular ones.
She had gone to Vancouver Island for the weekend to spend time with her mom. The original plan was for her to come back Monday at 1pm and then we would hang out. She ended up getting the ferry the night before, so we switched up plans and got together earlier, this worked out well.
She picked me up from the hostel and we headed directly to the Lighthouse Park. Much like Lynn Canyon, the forest was spectacular to walk through as moss covered everything, layering the forest with a rich vibrant green blanket. The main difference was, that instead of having a nice pure aqua river to walk down to I had a nice open coastline to walk out to.
I love the coastline along Lighthouse Park; it is much like the coastline in Tadoussac, Quebec. There is no beach; the entire coast is lined with large bolder cliffs. The reason I say bolder cliffs is because they are not jagged cliffs but rounded. I love it because it gives the coastline character. Another reason I’m a big fan of that type of coastline is because it gives me a lot to explore. I can have fun jumping along the rocks and it creates the right conditions for tidal pools. Tidal pools are amazing cause they are small ecosystems to explore that present such unique aqua life, like a touch aquarium.
Emma informed me that starfish are quite common to find along the rocks in tidal pools. This sparked a desire for me to find one. She ended up finding them in a small crevice were the water was rushing in and out.
I tried to catch one, although there was a slight problem, the tide was a little high. I’ll just say that that water is freezing. No, I did not end up falling in, I did end up getting my leg briefly wet but it is still cold non-the-less when you put your arm in.
After a few attempts I came to the conclusion that I was not going to get the starfish out but I did notice the tide was going out. We ended up chilling there for about 20 minutes, I was determined to catch myself a starfish. In the end the tide was in fact moving outwards and I was able to catch myself a starfish.
Sadly the starfish that were there, were not the typical size that are found but it was still awesome. In the little crevice where they were located there were about 10 of them, several being just younglings as their colour was red/burgundy appose to their usual colour of bright purple.
Lighthouse Park was fun, now it was time to move onto something different. The bus that I was taking to leave Vancouver that night was departing at midnight. Based on my experience traveling within the states I figured I needed to go to the station early and pick up my ticket, this wasn’t the case. Within Canada, all you need to do is show up with your Discovery Pass and ID, and you can jump on the bus.
Finding this out, we headed onto our next adventure. Getting Emma’s dog we headed to Stanley Park just North of downtown Vancouver. It was a nice park, I had fun walking along the rocky beach flipping rocks and watching the hundreds of small crabs that would scatter everywhere.
It was time for supper when we left Stanley Park. Emma picked out a restaurant, The Green Basil Thai. The food was excellent but there was a lot of it.
By the end of supper the day was pretty much done for, other then watching a movie and chilling on our laptops it was time to embark upon the easterly return.

Thank you for reading,
Corey Lablans
www.coreylablans.com

1 comment:

  1. You look as happy as that anime kid like you just caught a sweet pokemon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive