Photography is the documentation of life, once that shutter has clicked, the moment has passed and history is made. Some may be familiar with project 365, a simple concept, take a photograph everyday for 365 days. This blog is an extension of the project; the goal is to keep photographing every day, who knows how long? It is an excellent archive to look back on, see how things change. Change can be subtle, such as different coloured flowers being planted each year to a changing landscape with buildings being demolished and new ones built. This blog archives life’s diversity and my encounters.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

LA to Salinas

2010 03 29

Monterey, California - a place of beauty and stunning scenery. I initially planned on traveling to Las Vegas but was directed to Monterey, as someone told me I would love it. The journey to Monterey was and is amazing. This is my fourth week traveling via Greyhound across the United States. I have traveled over 90 hours, covering more then 4000 kilometers. My plan was to leave at 8:30pm from Aneheim on Sunday, although I didn’t factor in that the station would be closed.

I decided to call it a night and try the next day. The morning was successful as I made my way onto the 11:20am bus headed for Salinas arriving at 9pm. From the start, it was going to be a fun day, the hostel in Monterey (which I needed to get to from Salinas) closes for the night at 10pm. I would have to arrive in Salinas at 9pm, get a city bus and make my way to Monterey for 10pm, which is an hour away. I had everything lined up for me to arrive in Monterey on the Monday night.

Unfortunately, like many trips, a knot appeared in this plan. As I walked onto the bus I noticed the full seats. For a moment I just sat down in the middle of the isle thinking that it was possible to stay there, that wasn’t the case.

The bus driver asked all of us that were on the bus to get off. Once outside the bus he said, “ we have room for three people” and the family that was in front of us made their way.

Standing there speechless and not knowing what to do, me and two others made our way back into the station. At the front desk we just stood there, like helpless souls asking, “what do we do now.” The lifeless lady working at the front desk just blankly stared saying, “You’ll have to wait for the next bus.” It was something that I just didn’t want to hear.

The reality was, that Greyhound over booked the bus and I would have to wait in the LA station for seven hours until the next bus at 9:40 pm left for Salinas. It took me about two hours before I faced the fact that I was stuck. I then realized I had to make the best of the worst case scenario, this meant spending the next five hours on my computer editing the photos from LA.

In the end everything worked out. I edited most of my photos from LA and was able to get onto the 9:40 pm bus. Hindsight 20/20 I should have just taken the bus Sunday night at 8:30 pm without having a ticket but everything happens for a reason. It was an adventure and it was fun.

Tomorrow I will write a post about my experience in Monterey. It will involve photographs depicting my experience in Monterey.

Thank you for reading.

Corey Lablans

www.coreylablans.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive