Photography is the documentation of life, once that shutter has clicked, the moment has passed and history is made. Some may be familiar with project 365, a simple concept, take a photograph everyday for 365 days. This blog is an extension of the project; the goal is to keep photographing every day, who knows how long? It is an excellent archive to look back on, see how things change. Change can be subtle, such as different coloured flowers being planted each year to a changing landscape with buildings being demolished and new ones built. This blog archives life’s diversity and my encounters.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Banff


2010 04 06
Greyhound is much less traveled here in Canada then it is in the United States. Jumping on the bus in Vancouver, one of Canada’s larger cities, the bus was only half full. This provided a very comfortable 15-hour drive, since I was able to have two seats to spread out and sleep on.
I ended up sleeping from midnight till around seven in the morning, about the time we arrived in Kelowna. This worked very well, as I slept in the dark and when it was time to wake up we were getting into the major mountain ranges. Two in the afternoon till we arrived in Banff, the scenery was spectacular, jagged white peaked mountains towered on either side of the bus.
Like every leg of traveling, I thoroughly enjoy arriving at my destination. After being on the bus for several hours, all you want to do is get a shower and change, this is exactly what I did when I arrived in Banff, along with washing my cloths.
Tuesday night was open mic night at The Beaver, a small pub/restaurant just next door to the SameSun Backpackers Lodge. Three hours later my cloths were finally washed, I was starting to get hungry and it was time to head to the pub.
I was unaware that the pub stopped serving food at 9pm but they still had some pizza remaining. With a pint in one hand and pizza in the other I was happy, it was really good pizza. A nice thin oven baked, thin crust with lots of flavour.
The music was good. There where not a whole lot of people at the pub, I would say around seven. The pub is really small, only about 25 feet by 20 feet but a nice atmosphere. The people working there are extremely chilled.
After three pints, one in the morning, talking to two guys from Australia and Europe it was time to head to bed.
Waking up early the next morning, the first thing on my agenda was to head down to the Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies, a place I worked at five years ago. When I arrived it was closed, they open at 10am. I hadn’t had breakfast at this point, walking around a little, I ended up going into a McDonalds and had my first McDonalds breakfast. I didn’t mind the McGriddle, the one thing that I would have to say about it though, is that the maple syrup is to strong.
Now that I had my breakfast, it was around 10:40 am, I decided to give it another try and head over to the museum. It brought back a lot of memories walking in. Standing there in the main hallway of the Museum, a gentleman walked by, then stopped, looked at me and said, “Corey,” it was Craig.
Right now they are busy at the museum setting up a new gallery. Craig told me to come back round 3 pm. I decided that I would head on down to the Bow Falls. About a year ago I was looking at my Banff photos and realized, out of all the places I had explored I had never seen the waterfall here in Banff.
It was a good small adventure, keeping close to the water’s edge I made my way towards the falls. Just before the falls the edge of the river funs out and it becomes cliff. I had to turn back then hike up and then over the cliff to get to the falls. What was most interesting about the falls was the riverbed just before it. The riverbed was made up of striated rocks, it was hard to believe that it was a riverbed, very hard to describe and I didn’t take a photo of it. It was cool!
Finally, I made it to the top of the cliff just above the falls. The falls themselves were, so, so but now I can say that I have seen them.
At 2 pm I thought it would be good to make my way back. It took me about an hour to walk back. Instead of just backtracking I made my way up to the road just beside the waterfall and followed it back into town.
Now back at the museum Craig went on break, we had a short little chat about what has happened over the last five years, then he had to go back to work.
For the rest of the day, I just came back had some supper, drank some beer and it was time for bed.
Thank you for reading,
Corey Lablans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive