Photography is the documentation of life, once that shutter has clicked, the moment has passed and history is made. Some may be familiar with project 365, a simple concept, take a photograph everyday for 365 days. This blog is an extension of the project; the goal is to keep photographing every day, who knows how long? It is an excellent archive to look back on, see how things change. Change can be subtle, such as different coloured flowers being planted each year to a changing landscape with buildings being demolished and new ones built. This blog archives life’s diversity and my encounters.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Salinas to Monterey - Early morning experience

2010 03 30

Rain and stormy weather, this was going to be the forecast for the next two days in Monterey, California. Holding true to the forecast I arrived in Salinas at 4:45 am (30 miles away from Monterey) and it was raining.
The rain was light and I only had two blocks to walk to the Monterey-Salinas Transit (MST), by the time I arrived I was just slightly damp. The temperature was a little cooler then that of Los Angeles but with a fleece sweeter on, it wasn’t bad.
With darkness all around and the rain coming down I was standing at a bus station not entirely sure were to go but I had a vague idea. Before heading to Salinas I did a little research to see how to get Monterey from Salinas.
At the station there was one guy, a Mexican guy, who helped me out and told me that the #20 would take me to Monterey, it arrived right on time, 5:05 am.
Arriving in Monterey, I then needed to find my way to the hostel. Like my usual self along this trip I don’t remember the address of the hostel, although I do remember certain structures near by, such as the Aquarium. I knew the hostel was two blocks up the street from the Aquarium. Wondering my way through Monterey I stopped into 7Eleven and asked for directions. The Monterey International Hostel happened to be just around the corner.
Like the issue of arriving to late, had I got on the bus the day before, I arrived to early. It was 6:30 am, I was standing outside, doors locked and nothing to do because I had all my bags, I propped my bag against the wall and sat down. A gentleman wondered to the door around 7 am to get the newspaper. At this time I wondered on in, took a sit on the couch and fell asleep, I was in Monterey.

Thank you for reading.
Corey Lablans
www.coreylablans.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive