Photography is the documentation of life, once that shutter has clicked, the moment has passed and history is made. Some may be familiar with project 365, a simple concept, take a photograph everyday for 365 days. This blog is an extension of the project; the goal is to keep photographing every day, who knows how long? It is an excellent archive to look back on, see how things change. Change can be subtle, such as different coloured flowers being planted each year to a changing landscape with buildings being demolished and new ones built. This blog archives life’s diversity and my encounters.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Beautiful British Columbia - Vancouver

2010 04 03

Looking out the window with hesitation, I was unsure if the day was going to give me rain or if it would hold off. I had no clue what to do. That is one thing about going from city to city, unless you look on the computer before you get there, you are not quite sure what to do.

Since this was a new city and a new place for me to explore, I purchased an all day bus pass. What is great about an all day bus pass, if you use it properly, is that you can just jump on a bus and not care where it takes you.

I made my way downtown on the #4, the same bus that I took to the hostel the night before. Once downtown I jumped on another bus, having no clue where it was going, I ended up down at the water. At this point in time I thought it would be fun to try and make my way to North Vancouver and try to get to Seymour Mountain. Seymour Mountain is the furthest mountain East of the three mountains, Cypress, Grouse and then Seymour.

I had one issue, figuring out my way around the body of water breaking Vancouver from North Vancouver. Not knowing what bus would take me, I starting asking around. I found out that the city has something called a Sea Bus. The Sea Bus is quite interesting. It is part of the transit system here in Vancouver, taking you across the harbour from downtown Vancouver to North Vancouver.

Arriving in North Vancouver I started asking around what bus would take me to Seymour Mountain, I was directed onto the 238. While traveling on the bus I started talking to the bus driver, quickly finding out that there is no bus that would actually take me to the base of Seymour Mountain. With a little help from the bus driver I found out that public transit does go to the base of Grouse Mountain. With a quick hope off the bus, I then hoped onto the 228 taking me up to Grouse Mountain. That was a nice drive through the subdivision and up towards the mountain.

I had reached the mountain and my goal had been meet. Since I was there I decided to check out the cost of skiing because I needed to sort out what I was going to do the next day.

Walking around I had seen what I wanted to see and got the information that I wanted to get. Leaving Grouse Mountain I noticed a park, Capilano River Regional Park. I had to get off and walk around because it looked quite interesting.

A very lush looking green park with a small lake nestled amongst the mountains. The lake flows through a dam into the Capilano River, which has quite a few hiking tails. By this time in the day it was too late for me to go hiking but I still enjoyed the view.

I put the park in the back of my mind as a possibility of things to do for the following day. Another park that had caught my attention was Lynn Canyon Park, the park that I ended up choosing the following day to hike.

Much like my first day waking up in Vancouver I was hesitant on what was actually going to happen with the weather for the day. As I prepared myself for the day’s adventure I kept in mind that it could suddenly rain. Packing away three layers of cloths, drinks, food and a knife, I set out.

It took about an hour to get to Lynn Canyon leaving the hostel near Jericho Beach. As I made my way into the park I was amazed by how much the place had a rainforest look. The trees toward over everything, moss grew all over the trees and ferns layered the forest floor, it was sweet.

Before I made my way out hiking I was drawn in by the little café they had in the park. I hadn’t really eaten much, so I decided to sit down and order some fish and chips. The café had a nice relaxing feel, nestled amongst the forest and the food was good.

Once I had satisfied my stomach I headed into the forest. The first attraction you come upon when entering the park from the main entrance is a suspension bridge stretching across a waterfall in the forest.

In accordance to my personality, I really don’t enjoy sticking to the path. I knew that I wasn’t home, so I had to pay attention to where I was going, a little bit easier to get lost in the BC forests. This meant I couldn’t just trek into the forest, sadly. Heading along the path, I notice a small trail, what looked like an animal trail heading off into the forest towards the waterfall. It was a nice little path weaving me through the already dense, for being spring, forest. Still amazed by the immense size of the trees and the beauty of the hanging moss I made my way to the canyon/gorge edge, just down stream from the watefall. Following a small path that wound down a step slope I ended up at a small pebbly beach.

I have never seen such clear, pure looking water in my life then the water that was gliding through this river. It was impressive but very cold.

It was time to move after getting some nice photos of the area. Making my way up the other side of the incline it was a bit muddier then the way down but fun.

The next place I ended up exploring also presented spectacular scenery. Signs were posted everywhere cautioning people, extreme danger and frequently reminded people, that lives have been lost but what does that say to an adventurer “Come on in.”

Jumping a fence I wandered my way down alongside a cave/cliff that made my way to the riverside just downstream from Twin Falls. Once I was done taking some nice photos I decided it would be an amazing place to sit down, relax and have a snack. Very good choice I must say, the nice sound of the waterfall, the beauty of moss covered vegetation and stunning aqua water flowing by, why wouldn’t I.

After two amazing adventures down to the riverside, it was time to head on back to the entrance. Again sidetracked by a small trail wondering off into the forest I decided to follow it. It took me in about 200 meters into the forest; at this point in time I decided to just walk parallel to the main trail trekking my way through the forest. It was great, the amount of tropical looking scenery I saw this way was awesome.

Like many fun adventures that I have embarked upon, it was time to start heading back. A good solid four hours of hiking was good for that day and it was time to go back.

Two days without rain and good exploring, I was thrilled.


Thank you for reading,

Corey Lablans

www.coreylablans.com

1-613-217-4535

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive