Photography is the documentation of life, once that shutter has clicked, the moment has passed and history is made. Some may be familiar with project 365, a simple concept, take a photograph everyday for 365 days. This blog is an extension of the project; the goal is to keep photographing every day, who knows how long? It is an excellent archive to look back on, see how things change. Change can be subtle, such as different coloured flowers being planted each year to a changing landscape with buildings being demolished and new ones built. This blog archives life’s diversity and my encounters.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Monterey Beauty

2010 03 31

Eight in the morning, awake, had a light sleep, showered up and was ready to explore Monterey. Check in was not until 4 pm so I had the day to kill before I could get settled in at the hostel.
Heading out with advice about a good breakfast place I wondered on down towards the coast. I have to say the advice was a good one. I ate breakfast at First Awakening, a restaurant that specializes in making scratch pancakes, which were amazing.
A nice full stomach and a new place to explore, I embarked upon my journey for the day. Heading North West from the aquarium I made my way along the coast.
Walking along the pathway I noticed a group of people staring out at the water through a fence. Instinctively I was curious to what was going on. As I approached I noticed it was a little sandy bay with rocks on each side and nestled within the bay was over 100 Harbour seals.
This was a spectacular way to start off an amazing day. Like I said earlier on, the forecast was for rain the two days I was going to be in Monterey. Walking along the shoreline and looking out to the skies there was this appearance of possible rain but nothing came about, maybe a few drops.
As a photographer this undecided weather worked in my favour, as I never had to deal with rain but the clouds were still present giving me some added character.
As I moved my way down from the Harbour Seals I came to the main stretch of coastline. Many are aw struck by the fact that there is a section along the California coast that has no buildings. The buildings are held back a street away from the coastline leaving it to walkers, bikers and roller bladders. Much like down in Los Angeles, a path stretches the length of the coast but the shoreline isn’t the same. Instead of nice long sandy beach you have jagged rocks with the odd cove containing a sandy beach. Waves curl as they pass the jagged rocks moving inwards to the sandy bay, with slight aquamarine blue water. It was spectacular just sitting in various locations watching the waves pound the rocks, splashing in the air with such power but yet such relaxation. It is that feeling that you get when you are at the coast.
The waves rolling in were reaching heights of 10 feet. I found out that the waves were slightly larger then usual due to the full moon affecting the tide. For the remainder of the day I just walked around the coastline and back towards the hostel.
With a late night the day before and very little sleep, I was in bed by 10 pm ready to fall asleep.

Thank you for reading.
Corey Lablans
www.coreylablans.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive